Happy February 1st Everyone:) I can’t believe that the first month of 2016 has already passed but thankfully, here we all are! 11 more months of the year to go, and so many dreams and goals to live through! I personally am still as excited as when the year started, and my hope and prayer is to maintain this level of energy until we are ready to welcome another new year!
I understand I already shared a post this morning on confronting our ugliest truths, and based on my new article posting schedule, sharing this post right now is me doing the very most! Needless, please bare with me my dearest friends as I do believe that this post is particularly relevant as we welcome and celebrate this month of February 2016! 🙂
A favorite verse of mine which has carried me through some difficult moments over the couple of months reads “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18). As I have journeyed through a period and point in my life where I have been faced with unexplainable challenges, (they say when it rains in storms), I am nonetheless assured in the promises God has made to me, and I am as grateful and as joyful as I could ever be because I know who and whose I am!
Moving forward, on every first day of the month, I want to share a post on what I am grateful for from the month before, and I want to please encourage you to join me on this quest 🙂 Thanks to fellow bloggers Afrotasticlady and Living in Color who too have shared similar posts on their pages, I am so into it! I think that in giving thanks and showing gratitude we persistently maintain a sense of positivity that forces us to be less cynical about the world, and that forces us to look at the world as full opportunities, and our lives as beacons of hope for families, our community and world! There is nothing celebrating and giving thanks for all the wonders, big and small, in our lives!
One of my best friends on gratitude once shared (you can find more of his thoughts here), “I have come to believe that a conscious decision to improve one’s self begins with adopting the attitude of gratitude as a way of life.” He further shared the words of Mark T. Mitchell, Professor of Political Science at Patrick Henry College in Virginia, who discusses gratitude as:
“Gratitude is born of humility, for it acknowledges the giftedness of the creation and the benevolence of the Creator. This recognition gives birth to acts marked by attention and responsibility. Ingratitude, on the other hand, is marked by hubris, which denies the gift, and this always leads to inattention, irresponsibility, and abuse.”
As part of the gifted creation, I today publicly recognize the benevolence of the Creator! I commit to have my actions be marked by attention and responsibility as I remain grateful for the grace that is these blessings!
This blog article was long this time because I had to share why it’s important for us to declare thanks and remain grateful. Moving forward however, I promise to keep my grateful blog articles sweet and short and just to the list!
For the month of January, here are 5 things that I am grateful for 🙂
- The voice of God through the Holy Spirit, and the promises of God! Hearing the voice of God so loud and clear has saved my life! I believe in all the promises, in every single one, that God has made to me!
- My church women’s cell group and the prayer warriors that are the Zoe sisters! It’s so important to surround yourself with people who know the Word, who can teach you the Word, and those who are going to carry you through prayer. I am so very thankful for my deaconess and my sisters!
- Friends and family! My fiancé, my parents, my brother, my sisters, my best friends, my mentors! These people are my backbone and the symbols of how much God loves me! I’m a January birthday and when I say they went all out, they went ALL OUT!
- Visions, dreams and goals! I’m so thankful that I am once again able to see myself the way God sees me! I too am thankful for the visions and dreams that God has placed on my heart! They’re big, but I know there is nothing impossible with Him!
- The ability to confront my past and my ugly truths, and the ability for me to be able to change! Just read this blog article and you’ll understand why:)
What happened to you in January 2016 that you grateful for my friend? I would love love love to hear your thoughts!
-Unravel Away Artist-